Postdoctoral Research Fellow, MAGEC Program, Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Uppsala University
April 2014-December 2017
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Ottawa
March 2012-April 2014
Ph.D., Biology, The Australian National University
March 2008- July 2012
M.S., Biological Sciences, Illinois State University
August 2003- May 2007
B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), Biological Sciences (emphasis: Ecology & Evolution, University of California, Riverside September 2001- June 2003)
Non-Research and Teaching Experience
· Safety Pharmacologist, Covance Laboratories, Inc. (Madison, WI)
September 2007-February 2008
University of Ottawa
· Evolutionary Ecology, Instructor
The Australian National University
· Australian Vertebrate Diversity, Guest Lecturer
· Human Physiology, Teaching Assistant
· Genetics and Advanced Human Genetics, Teaching Assistant
· Introductory Biology, Teaching Assistant
Illinois State University
· Human Anatomy & Physiology, Laboratory Instructor
· Ecology, Laboratory Instructor
· Animal Behavior, Teaching Assistant
· NSF GK-12 Fellow, High School Curriculum Development & Guest Lecturer
Chaffey Community College
· Human Anatomy, Teaching Assistant
· Comparative Vertebrate Zoology, Teaching Assistant
Normal Community High School
· Guest Lecturer and Curriculum Development
Grants and Scholarships
· International Society of Behavioral Ecologists Travel Grant 2010.
· Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship 2008, Australian National University.
· Illinois State University Graduate Student Association Professional Advancement Travel Award 2006. I am my mother’s daughter: heritability of female choice in the house cricket.
· Department of Biological Science Rilett Scholarship Travel Award 2006. Heritability of female choice in house crickets.
· Phi Sigma Mockford Grant 2005. I am my mother’s daughter: heritability of female choice in the house cricket.
· Phi Sigma Weigel Grant 2004. Effects of age and mating frequency on female choice in house crickets.
· University of California Riverside Undergraduate Mini-grant. Trade-offs in reproduction and immunity in a nuptial gift giving species of cricket.
Presentations & Posters at Conferences
2014. American Association of Physical Anthropologists. Penis size, male attractiveness and multivariate selection. (Invited symposium speaker).
2013. European Society for Evolutionary Biology (ESEB) Conference. The effects of resource type on longevity and reproductive senescence in wild and laboratory populations of the Antler Fly (Protopiophila litigata). Lisbon, Portugal
2013. European Society for Evolutionary Biology (ESEB) Conference. Penis size interacts with body shape and height to influence male attractiveness. Lisbon, Portugal
2010. International Behavioral Ecology Congress. Perth, Australia. Males of a seemingly monogamous fiddler crab defend multiple burrows to attract extra females.
2009. Botany and Zoology Post-Graduate Research Symposium, The Australian National University. The interaction between male harassment and polyandry of female fitness in mosquitofish
2007. Illinois State University, Department of Biology Seminar Series. Intrinsic factors influencing female choice in house crickets.
2006. International Behavioral Ecology Congress, Tours, France. I am my mother’s daughter: Heritability of pre-and post-copulatory choice in female house crickets
2004. National Science Teacher Association Conference, Atlanta, Georgia. Partnerships for Inquiry in Science and Mathematics.
2004. Partnerships in Teaching Conference, Normal, Illinois. Partnerships for Research in Science and Math (PRISM) at Illinois State University.
2004. Illinois Science Teachers Association (ISTA) Conference, Peoria, Illinois. ISU PRISM Project: Investigating Biodiversity in Local Habitats.
2001. Pomona College Summer Research Poster Conference, Pomona, California. Environmental Influences on Reproductive Biology: A Comparison of Temperate and Tropical House Wrens.
Scientific Community and Professional Service
· Referee for Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B, Behavioral Ecology, Biology Letters, Animal Behavior, African Journal of Entomology, Journal of Ethology
· Social Committee, Research School of Biology, The Australian National University
· Grant Reviewer, Beta Lambda Chapter, Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society
· President, Beta Lambda Chapter, Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society 2005
· Vice President, Beta Lambda Chapter, Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society 2004
· Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) Illinois State University 2004-2006
Honors and Awards
· Strategic Communications and Public Affairs Award, Quirkiest/Most Unusual Story, Australian National University 2013.
· Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society, Beta Lambda Chapter Outstanding Master Student Award 2007.
· Illinois State University Department of Biology Jack A. Ward Service Award 2005.
· Illinois State University Charter Department Award (Biology) 2005.
· Animal Behavior Society Diversity Travel Award 2002.
· Chaffey College Life Science Award for outstanding scholarship in biology 2001.
· Mary G. and Rawley J. Miller Scholarship for outstanding scholarship in biology 2001.
· Applied Bayesian Analysis for Ecologists and Epidemiologists., from PR Statistics
· Coding, data management, and Shiny applications using RStudio, PR Statistics